Celebrating its 26th anniversary this year, JAVA has been resilient in its popularity. It has maintained its top 2 spot over the last 15+ years in a recent poll by Github PYPL. If you’re considering which programming language to learn, you won’t be alone in picking Java. Daily 9 million developers code in Java Language. That is good news for you. You can learn from the JAVA community.
Source: Github PYPL (Worldwide, 2021)
What do Java Developers do?
Java developer roles can vary from company to company. Below is what they build:
- Java application design, implementation, and maintenance for mission-critical systems.
- Providing a high-level performance.
- Participating in all stages of the development process.
- Writing code that is well-designed, and testable.
- Analysis, programming, testing, and debugging of software.
- Managing the development of Java EE applications.
- Assuring that designs adhere to standards.
- Preparing and producing software component releases.
- Creating stipulations from requirements.
- Encourage continual progress.
Top 5 JAVA Skills That Are in High Demand
Here is the must-have top five Java skills in 2021 and likely beyond.
1. Java 8
While Java 13 was released in September 2019, many developers are still unfamiliar with Java 8 and its features. The most useful Java 8 features are:
- For the construction of interfaces with method implementation.
- A functional interface with only one abstract method assists developers to avoid the installation of additional abstract forms.
- Functional interfaces can be instantiated with the aid of lambda expressions.
- Java Stream API is a parallel and sequential execution API for Java.
- In the Collection API, new methods have been added.
2. DevOps adoption
DevOps may be advantageous to you as a developer. DevOps procedures are well-organized, allowing businesses to improve product quality and streamline operations.
- Integration and continuous delivery.
- Instead of monoliths, work with microservices.
- As a code, infrastructure.
- Testing software that can be automated.
Unit testing essentially allows code units to be tested independently. Learning the use of the most convenient testing tools is a prerequisite for developers to improve their skills. The JUnit 5 Library, is the key testing framework to become familiar with.
To complete a 360-degree software test and ensure no faults, or malfunctions, a professional Java developer should not forget about other testing methods (system testing, integration testing, etc.). It’s essential to know that modest changes lead to large results.
4. Spring and Spring Boot
Spring Framework is the most widely used framework for developing Java-based applications. The Benefits of Spring are its dependency injection, which allows developers to create loosely linked apps. Spring is also a lightweight framework that allows XML and annotation setups and declarative programming too.
Spring Boot offers a tool for fast application deployment. Spring is known for its flexibility, and Spring Boot make the development process easier. It provides developers with production-ready functionality, aids in creating independent apps. Spring Boot is ideal for microservices and apps that need to be developed quickly.
5. Java libraries and APIs
Java is the most popular programming language that offers many APIs and libraries. These technologies help developers to quickly construct reliable applications. A basic collection of tools that every skilled Java developer should know are
- Standard Packages in Java 8
- Frameworks based on Spring
- ORM in JPA ( TopLink)
- NoSQL databases are databases that are not stored in a relational database (MongoDB)
- Gradle (app rassemblement tool)
- Maven (a bit outdated but still popular, also used for assembling an app)
In terms of APIs, a developer must be familiar with OpenJDK, Android, and Oracle to work with the principal Java API.
Java Developers in Singapore
Java is a hot skill in Singapore. Java Developers have enjoyed more than a linear growth of salary.
Developers with 2+ years experience draw S$50,300 per year, on average. This number jumps to S$83,000 per year for developers with 5+ years of experience. With its proven popularity over 26 years, a supportive community, and attractive salary and potential hike, learning Java should be top on your list!